Hiking In Perlis: Edition Bukit Tok Dun @ Laka

     I'm going to share my first ever experience of hiking. I've always wanted to hike a hill or a mountain since I was in secondary school but hadn't got any chance to do so since my father is super anxious about me going for a hike or any other extreme sports. I've always like sports and outdoors but very little experience in real life. So, my first hike started when I was in the second year of my degree in UniMAP.

      It was a hill well known as Bukit Tok Dun @ Bukit Laka located near my campus in Pauh Putra, Arau, Perlis. I was told that the hill separates the states Kedah and Perlis about 200 meters above sea level. This hill is very suitable to hike for a beginner like me. The path was clear and very easy to climb up. Even though it was an easy path, but still quite exhausting for a beginner like me. I was guided by my friend who has climbed the hill before. There were six of us altogether. Most of us were hiking beginner. Many people went up the hill especially if it is the weekend. Families from children to senior citizens climb this hill. Bukit Tok Dun can be said as a friendly hill.

      We planned to watch the sunrise from the top of the hill but due to some problems with our transportation, we missed the sunrise at the top. We started to hike the hill at around 7 a.m. and arrived at the top around 8 a.m. We could've been faster if we were among the expert climbers. The views at the top are amazing! I love the feeling when we were on top of the hill. We spent quite some time on the top. Took a lot of pictures as well.

     Around 10 a.m. after we have satisfied with the views and pictures taken, we decided to climb down the hill. In my honest opinion, I'd rather climb up than climb down a hill. It was okay but I had this 'gayat' feeling when we went down the hill. Got to be careful with the stones and rocks they might make the path slippery. Oh, and if you decided to climb the hill in the rainy season, the ground will be a little bit muddy and red in colour. Furthermore, try not to climb up or down in the late morning, which I mean almost noon because the heat might harm you. You should know that Perlis is the driest state in Malaysia. I suggest climbing up the hill earlier than 9 a.m. and climb down before 11 a.m.

     If you are a beginner and not a very fit kind of person like me, I suggest you bring a bottle of water with you to wipe the thirst away every once in a while. But not too much water it can make you feel more tired to climb afterwards. Moreover, if you want to climb in the early morning, make sure to bring a torch or wear a headlamp to help you see the path. Go ahead, try hiking and remember safety first! Always be cautious with your surroundings. Thank you for reading. Love, Az.


This is not the top yet.

Almost there...

Now we're on top!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gua Kelam (Cave of Darkness)